Here are eight tips to help you get clear skin.
Doing these things alone will certainly not clear your skin, but they will support your other efforts of using proper products and help you get clear skin faster.
- Get enough rest. Stress will only trigger the adrenal glands to produce more oil and more oil (in an acne prone person) can only help lead to more breakouts.
- Stay away from iodides. Iodized salt, seafood, fish, seaweed, fast food and dairy products (cows lick iodized salt licks). Another biggie is kelp tablets (thyroid support). Also, some vitamins and sports drinks might contain iodides, so check out the formula.
- Stay away from “high androgen” foods. Foods such as peanuts, peanut butter, peanut oil, corn oil, wheat germ, shellfish, organ meats (sweetbreads, liver and heart). These all contain the hormones that will make acne worse.
- Stay out of the pool. Some swimming pool disinfectants contain iodides and chlorine. These can stay in the water and cause flare ups for the acne prone individual.
- Don’t Pick. Picking will always lead to a scab and at least a week of heal time. The best thing you can do is put ice on it twice a day after cleansing to calm inflammation and shrink it, and/or come in for a quickie extraction and let us get rid of it. But always ice it as soon as you feel it coming up.
- Use fragrance-free detergents. There are plenty to choose from: Tide Free, Cheer Free, All Free & Clear or Arm & Hammer Free.
- Don’t use fabric softener. The ingredients that make our close feel so soft are the same ingredients that clog our pores. Use static balls (from Bed Bath & Beyond) to control static cling.
- Limit sun exposure and use sunscreen: A little tan can make us look and feel a little better, but it’s terrible for acne. It can damage the follicle wall, makes post inflammatory hyperpigmentation worse and causes skin cancer and premature aging. Wear sunblock all over if you are going to be in the sun for extended periods of time and reapply every 2 hours. If you will only be out for short periods of time always wear it on your face or body area that is acne prone if it will be exposed to the sun. The products that help manage acne also make you more sensitive to the sun. Protect yourself and stay beautiful!